WAYS TO OPTIMISE ORGANISATIONAL STRATEGIES
Every organization has to keep growing in order to attain profitability and success. For this growth to be perpetual, optimization of its organizational strategies is a must. The task of the healthcare operations management is to devise the management strategy for the organization. But it does not end there. It also lies in monitoring the strategy implementation process and optimizing it to derive the maximum out of it. To achieve this, it is best to seek the guidance of an expert healthcare consultant who has experience in strategy optimization in healthcare.
Optimizing the management strategy for the organization in healthcare
Strategic management is very vital to any organization and especially to healthcare due to its direct connection with patient health. The management strategy for the organization can be optimized by adopting the following measures.
- Retrospection & Analysis
The first thing that the healthcare operations management should do is to retrospect on its strategies implemented so far. This could be done by doing a SWOT analysis to analyze the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats in the strategy. The healthcare operations management must analyze the following
- What is working well with the current strategy and what is not
- What went well in the previous year for the organization in terms of revenue, profitability, service delivery, cost reduction etc.
- Identify the opportunities available for growth
- Detect what could be the threat to the organization and whether it is due to competition., healthcare industry trends or lack of innovation
Doing a SWOT analysis alone will not suffice. The healthcare operations management must follow it up with the strategy implementation process by initiating the right course of action
- Process Initiation
The Strategy implementation process begins with initiating the process through the following steps
- Redefine the organizational goals
- Outline the methodologies to achieve them in a new manner
- Suggest improvements to achieve better ROI, process efficiency, better patient satisfaction, delivery of medical services, time management and communication
- Align the structure of the organization in the manner needed to achieve results
- Reduce the reactive response to threats
- Increase the proactive response to innovation and emergent trends in the healthcare industry.
By adhering to the above measures, the healthcare operations management can set the wheels of optimization running for the healthcare organization.
- Making people accountable
The strategy implementation process can be a success only by delegating responsibilities and making people accountable for their actions. This is done by
- Defining the duties of all personnel to relate to the organization’s mission
- Describing the roles of the individuals across the organization clearly
- Encouraging and advocating single ownership for minor tasks and team effort for the entire operation
- Insist on coordination and cooperation at all levels
- Making the budgets and fiscal reports transparent so that the personnel see the outcome of their actions.
- Clear Communication
Communication is the strong thread that binds the personnel in the organization. Clear communication is a must to achieve organizational success in healthcare. Poor communication can lead to major mishaps and destroy both the reputation and revenue of the organizations So, the healthcare operations management must focus on clear communication in the following ways.
- Make every person in the organization understand his profile, scope and responsibility of work
- Make the staff understand that timely coordination is a must to ensure efficient delivery of clinical service.
- Allow the staff to voice their suggestions, grievances, complaints and concerns and take measures to rectify them
- Insist on uniform communication at all levels
- Advocate courteous attitude and polite communication with patients
- Adopt a personal approach in communication with the staff
- Insist on the staff interacting on a personal basis with the patients to ensure patient satisfaction
- Passionate Approach
Healthcare is an industry rendering yeoman and selfless service to the community. To operate in healthcare, passion is a must. The healthcare operations management must always identify those staff who have a passion for healthcare and nurture them. Using them as an example, other staff must be encouraged to develop a passion for healthcare to achieve personal satisfaction and professional efficiency.
Optimizing the strategies of a healthcare organization is a must to sustain its presence, consolidate its position and augment its growth in the healthcare industry. The help of an able healthcare consultant can make this objective easily accomplishable for the healthcare operations management of any clinical organization.