5 Steps in Streamlining the Hospital Supply-Chain for Cost Saving
Hospitals house various departments apart from just the medical staff. The new market initiatives that aroused over the past decade are changing the game plan for healthcare once for all. These reformations forcing the Healthcare players to cut costs on their delivery as healthcare has become a value-based service industry where the patients are expecting the healthcare providers to deliver effective and quality services. In addition, the increased peer pressure from the other healthcare providers has made it a compulsion for all hospitals to reduce or be competent in their pricing.
To address the rising costs in patient care few hospitals increase their cost of the service which could be fatal. Many healthcare marketing researchers have proven it already that being cost-effective in delivery triggers back putting the hospital in a difficult situation.
The only option a hospital could rely on is streamlining the hospital supply chain and increase its efficiency. Here are 5 ways you could increase efficiency in Supply Chain Management and ensure cost-saving.
- Tools that Track and Monitor the Products and Usage – Digitalization in hospitals is imperative in every department that is part of the system. Implement the necessary trackers and parameters that track the usage of the products and their efficiency in a specified time period. The digitally derived information will let you know the functionality of that product and its efficiency. This will allow you to understand if you have to continue with it or find some other ways to reduce the cost.
- Transparency in the System – Set certain touch-points and parameters to monitor both the upstream and downstream aspects of the supply chain. The increased visibility in every step involved in supply chain ensures there is no scope for any obstacle or wastage. Various stages involved in supply chain management such as retailers data, forecasting demand, recall management and inventory management should be well maintained by incorporating various checkpoints that makes visibility and simplifies the process.
- Team Management with Long-Term Goals – Implementing new processes for efficiency and cost saving may obstruct the operations for some period. Be prepared for such bottlenecks and ensure they are addressed then and there. Educate the team and higher management about the possible challenges and changes beforehand. The opinion of end players such as nurses and physicians is important and it is necessary to keep them in the loop in every communication and change that takes place. Follow a strict and detailed plan till the new supply chain management yields the results.
- Enhanced Automation of Manual Processes – No matter how digitalized the system is, there require a human involvement and mistakes may occur wherever a system is manually operated. Identify the blockages that cause errors and arrange training sessions for the staff. Implementing various checkpoints and monitoring systems prevent any sort of errors. The purchase orders, documentation including invoices should be digitalized so that you can keep a track of everything.
- Database of the Reliable Trading Partners – Create a collaborative and cooperative trading partner database with the help of thorough market research. The supply chain involves in various steps and establishing a win-win atmosphere within the community with transparency and commitment. It is important to constantly evaluate the market and maintaining the relationships with flexibility.
Healthcare Management is forced to find new paths for implementing cost-saving methods and a perfectly streamlined Supply Chain Management in the system proven to be more cost-effective for the healthcare players. Follow these 5 useful tips and yield the intended results.