Benefits of NABH Accreditation for a Hospital
In today's world, the healthcare industry is impacted by various forces like corporate growth, business competition, medical tourism, medical insurance etc. Due to this, the quality of healthcare at hospitals is affected and the patient's expectations have increased. This has led to the formation of national and internal regulating bodies that offer accreditation to hospitals only if they satisfy the stipulated criteria of quality assurance in healthcare. NABH -National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers - is India's healthcare governing body that ensures quality healthcare and peerless patient experience at hospitals through its regulations
What is NABH?
NABH -National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers is
- A part of the Quality Council of India which was established to offer accreditation to healthcare providers and hospitals based on their adherence to quality guidelines.
- An institutional member of the ISQua-International Society for Quality in Healthcare. ISQua's approval authenticates that NABH's standards conform to the global benchmarks set by it.
What does NABH accreditation mean to hospitals?
NABH accreditation is
- The proof that the hospital provides quality healthcare as per global standards.
- The testimony that hospital wishes to increase the patient's experience positively.
- A mark of international recognition for any hospital.
- Valuable to the hospital for medical tourism.
Only 173 hospitals in India have NABH accreditation and 521 are working towards it. 49 blood banks and only 2 dental hospitals have gained this recognition.
NABH standards for hospitals
Access, Assessment and Continuity of Healthcare
The hospital should
- Define and display the services it provides.
- Have a well-defined registration and admission process along with a transfer and referral system for inter-hospital transfer
- Educate patient and his family before taking decisions
- Offer initial assessment before patient care.
- Provide laboratory and imaging services as per the patient's requirement.
- Provide established quality assurance and safety programs for laboratory and imaging.
- Offer multi-disciplinary and continuous patient-care
- Document the discharge of patients
- Uniform care and emergency services are provided to all patients as per the laws and regulations.
- Ambulance services should be commensurate with the scope of the organization.
- Policies and procedures guide the
- Patient care during cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Rational use of blood and blood products
- Care of vulnerable patients in intensive care and high-dependency units
- Care of children, elderly, physically and mentally challenged patients
- Care of obstetric patients and high-risk pediatric patients
- Use of moderate sedation and anaesthesia
- Patient care during surgery with Pain management and rehabilitation
- Nutritional Therapy
- End of life care
Management of medication
- Policies and procedures guide the
- Organization of pharmacy services and medication
- Storage, prescription and safe -dispensing of medication
- Use of narcotic drugs and psychotropic, chemotherapeutic or radioactive drugs
- Use of implantable prosthesis and medical gases.
Patient and family are well-informed about the use and contra-indications of the medication.
The hospital should have well-defined facilities for
- Infection control with a manual to minimize the safety of patients, staff and visitors.
- Surveillance to reduce Hospital-associated infections
- Biowaste management
NABH Accreditation guidelines
- Obtain a copy of NABH standards and application form from its office
- Fill and submit the NABH application with relevant documents and fees
- After scrutiny, clinical assessment and review is done
- If the standards are met with, a recommendation is given to NABH for accreditation else the hospital has to take corrective measures and go for review again
- On ascertaining total quality assurance, accreditation certificate is issued by NABH.
NABH accreditation is a feather in the cap for any hospital and a mark of its competence. Acquire NABH accreditation for your hospital with the help of professional healthcare consultants today.