Setting up your healthcare unit might sounds as a great idea, but it is not that easier. Healthcare, being the fundamental right of every citizen and country, there are certain guidelines and rules you need to follow. Hospitals, clinics, nursing home, healthcare unit, etc. are liable to provide state of the art Medicare service delivery in association with a team of highly qualified and eminent doctors, nurses and other medical staff.
The rising population of India has led to an emergent need of hospitals, and as per the statistics, currently there is one single hospital bed per 879 people. The condition is poor and far below the standards set up by the WHO. These numbers also highlight the demand of new hospital and healthcare units in the area.
Today, we are going to consider the essential steps needed to setup an NABH certified hospital in India. Keep following pointers in mind before you consult an NABH consultant:
You need to choose a good site as if there are already enough healthcare units available in the area; your hospital will find difficult to pool in patients. Hospitals too need to be set up in areas that have transportation facility and should be accessible.
You also need to be sure that what structure is being planned and what are the infrastructural requirements of the area. Hospital infrastructure planning should be done after you plan the facilities like orthopedics, gynecology, oncology, pathology and others to be included.
For proper hospital management, it is essential to get permits for the hospital to start functioning, some of them are mentioned below which includes;
- Land and construction: Land allotted for agricultural can’t be used. You also need to get multiple permissions with the local authorities. Land deed, architectural plan, Hospital infrastructure planning, etc. are to be approved. It also requires occupation certification.
- Electricity and water: As per the requirements, you need to take permission from the local governmental body to obtain water and electric meter supply. Calculate the water and electricity supply per day.
- Sewage and biomedical waste: You will also need permissions to install well-planned drainage system, incinerators, and other plans to dispose of the medical equipment, body parts, and other waste.
While making the hospital infrastructural design, keep these points in mind;
- Nurses and working shifts for day and night.
- Doctors and medical skills.
- Medical instruments and equipment purchased.
- Hardware devices, machinery, and computers.
- Engineers, staff, and ward staff for plumbing, maintenance, air conditioning, etc.
Several medical ethics and laws are there to follow. Certain step of eligibility criteria, guidelines and rules are put there by the medical departments and government for hospitals to provide services to the central government health scheme beneficiaries.
A large amount of finances, planning, certification, approval, guidelines and licenses go into setting up a hospital in India. It is well worth all the efforts and at the end, you sole mission must be to enhance the medical healthcare standards and serve the patients with best support.